· Meteor shower injures hundreds in Russia.
· Blizzard hits US, normal life disturbed
· Tsunami kills thousands
· Earthquake ravages the city
· An unknown fever kills people
These are not so uncommon news for us. Nature can stun us any time. Weather forecast cannot guarantee if tomorrow it will rain or the day will be sunny.
These phenomenons indicate following:
1. We are not the controllers of nature.
2. There is no guarantee to our security.
3. And the scriptures declaration that this world is duhkhalayam asasvatam, an abode of miseries, is indeed true.
With our material intelligence we won’t be able to understand and overpower the nature. Our unnatural desire to be the controllers of the nature will always be frustrated. We presume that the nature acts independently and all the visible phenomenon occurs due to some random chance theory. Our presumption is presumptuous. Bhagavad – Gita spoken thousands of years ago by Krishna clearly establishes that the material nature is not independent but is one of the energy of the Lord and it acts under his direction - “This material nature, which is one of My energies, is working under My direction, O son of Kunti, producing all moving and non-moving beings (Bhagavad – Gita 9.10).”
Our exploitative mentality & unnatural interference with the nature is the primary cause of natural calamities. So instead of us trying to manipulate the nature, if we live as per the laws of nature then nature’s unwarranted onslaught will not torment us.